The number of overweight children in India has doubled in recent years, with a quarter of children considered overweight or obese. Causes of obesity in children include unhealthy food choices, lack of physical activity and family eating habits.
This rise in the number of overweight children is disturbingthem, because it causes health problems and can lead to social problems. Overweight children are more likely to be teased by their peers or to develop low self-esteem or body image problems. Once children are overweight, it requires a lot of effort and commitment for them to return to a healthy weight.
Overweight and obesity in children are among the most important risks to children’s long and short-term health. Overweight children are very likely to become overweight adults
Factors that may cause children to become overweight and obese include:
1. Food choices
2. Lack of physical activity
3. Spending a lot of time on sedentary pursuits
4. Overweight parents
Tips for Keeping Kids Healthy and Avoiding Teenage Obesity
Supportive parenting continues to be key in setting a good example for teenagers and encouraging healthy habits— Sixty-one percent of parents claim that they would readily change their own habits if it would help their teenagers avoid obesity. This gets at one of the main means of preventing obesity: family involvement. It is important to help teens acquire healthy lifestyles through family activities and participation.
1. Have breakfast every day!! . Eat more family meals prepared at home.
2. Help your children make healthy choices when they are out of the house. Fruit or salad as a side instead of fries, or water instead of high-sugar sodas
3. Avoiding snack foods that are high in sugar, and fat. Eat fresh foods. It also curbs the dinner appetite as well.
4. Help your kids become more active. Limit the TV and gaming. Encourage getting on their bikes, or have them participate in a sport that they enjoy. Get some fresh air!
BY- AASHNA ABROL
K.R.MANGALAM WORLD SCHOOL,VIKASPURI